Plz stop making things more complex than they need to be
The script was originally meant to have an easy and quick way to install a neutrinet cube. In the last couple of months more and more stuff has been added while not looking at how much it makes the whole thing more complex. I feel this is a serious problem.
I haven't checked the whole script again, but I hope I can make my point with some out of the top of my head examples:
- We have questions that I don't think should be asked because 99% (and more) of the time it's not relevant
- Example is if you want to install neutrinet-specifics
- The option to not install a hotspot could be another one
- We have resources outside of the script that need to be downloaded manually
- we have similar stuff upstreamed as well
- We have a possibility for custom scripts. This is not bad, but now it needs to add yet another file, which makes things more complex
Things should really be talked out more and options should be considered before adding quick fixes to problems that aren't even that big. Things that could/should be considered are:
- Shouldn't we use flags for specific cases instead of asking a question that will have the same answer most of the time
- Can't we see the problem on a larger scale?
- Example is the custom script in the hypercube.install file. The original idea was to have custom apps and applists as part of the hypercube.install file (this was even shortly discussed on the labriqueinternet IRC). This would allow us to do everything via one JSON structure instead of adding extra files. 'Quick fix' solutions can be done so that we have time to analyse a good solution and upstream that. (In this case the 'quick fix' idea was to add extra lines to the script that runs the install.hypercube file during setup until a good solution was implemented and merged. This only has impact on our script and even then is minimal)
- Another possible example is the question for the neutrinet specifics. What if instead of asking neutrinet specifics, we start by asking for what ISP the cube will be installed, no ISP being an option (this assumes that other ISP's will want to use it as well, which should be discussed with them first of course)
What I hope
I mostly hope we can discuss a better way of evolving this script, because I really don't like where it is going now.